How many of you can actually picture yourself driving an electric car? Raise your hands. And, how many even thought there would be an electric sports car that is faster than a Ferrari? Raise your hands. Yup. Thought so.
Introducing the Tesla Roadster Sport by Tesla Motors, my new favorite American car company:
While recently browsing Business Week online a few days ago, I ran across Tesla Motors company in an article about innovative companies. Immediately, I was intrigued and visited the Tesla Motors website. Needless to say, I am hugely inspired and wanting to drive/own this new electric sports car.
- 0 to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds
- 248 hp electric motor with regenerative braking – add charge to the battery every time you use the brakes!
- 240 mile range per charge – good for daily commuting and driving in the city, but no road trips with the Roadster; thank goodness it can be charged basically anywhere.
- top speed is 125 mph – wish it was more, but how often do we really actually drive over 90 mph?
- 3.5 hours to charge
- save on gas and maintenance fees – there is no changing the oil, spark plugs, belts, etc
- starting price of $100K+ is not the cheapest, but hey, “you have a sports car and it’s good for the environment!”
Tesla Model S
You can read more about the company on its page. Basically, it is a company started by a couple of entrepreneurs in the Silicon Valley. The owner Elon Musk has personally funded at least 33% of the company so far. In any case, I am excited to have this innovative car company come from US. The cars most definitely provide a much needed bright spot in the battered US auto industry, both in actual sales and consumer perception.
Also, this car company maybe something to keep your eyes on… The company has a great product and a great management team. Company is not yet profitable. Let’s see if they can reduce their pricing, achieve economies of scale, and grow. Maybe there will be opportunities for people to buy shares in the near future.
What are your thoughts on the cars and the company’s outlook?
- Article on Business Week titled The World’s 25 Unsung Innovative Companies: Innovation’s Future Stars
- Tesla Motors company website